Born 1982 in Seattle Washington. Lives in New York City.
Amanda Valdez works in a matrix of gestures, styles, and materials referring to visual cultures that are both western and non-western. Valdez pulls on a variety of histories, from quilting and sewing, to tiling and brick-laying, to virtuoso gestural painting. Her works operate as a reflection of the body, and the histories that the body holds in its physical makeup: scars, sags, symmetries and asymmetries, and a lifetime of emotions.
Amanda Valdez received her MFA from Hunter College in New York City and BFA from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago. Her most recent solo exhibitions include Hot Bed at Dot Fiftyone Gallery in Miami, Ladies’ Night at the Mead Art Museum at Amherst College, and The Mysteries at Koki Arts in Tokyo. Valdez will have her next solo exhibition at Denny Gallery in the fall of 2018. She is currently an artist-in-residence at New Roots Foundation in Guatemala. Valdez has also received prestigious artist residencies at the Joan Mitchell Foundation, Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts, Byrdcliffe, MacDowell Colony, and Yaddo. She has received grants from the Joan Mitchell Foundation, New York Foundation for the Arts, Hunter College, the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, and the 2011 College Art Association MFA Professional-Development Fellowship.Download CV
Press & News
- 04.01.2017 Amanda Valdez writings and paintings published in The Common
- 09.28.2016 Interview with Amanda Valdez about exhibition at Mead Art Museum on The Amherst Student
- 09.09.2016 Interview with Amanda Valdez about exhibition at Mead Art Museum on Art Zealous
- 09.01.2016 Solo exhibition at Mead Art Museum
- 04.19.2016 Interview with Caris Reid in Forbes
- 04.07.2016 Interview with Caris Reid in PAPER Magazine
- 02.12.2016 Interview with Caris Reid on double or nothing
- 12.31.2015 What Did Artists Love in 2015 on Blouin Artinfo
- 08.19.2015 Review of Metamodern by Kristi Arnold in on-verge.org
- 10.12.2014 Review of Thick as Thieves by Stephen Wilson in NYblk
- 09.01.2014 Interview with Amanda Valdez by Caris Reid in Women Artists
- 04.21.2014 Interview with Amanda Valdez on LVL3 Media
- 12.19.2013 "4 Contemporary Female Artists Who Are Shaping the Future of Painting" in Huffpost Arts & Culture
- 09.18.2013 "Three Abstractionists Make Stuff: The Life of Forms Is a Mystery" by Jen Graves in The Stranger
- 09.18.2013 "Doubling All The Way Down: Amanda Valdez at Prole Drift" by Erin Langner in New American Paintings
- 09.05.2013 Art in America - The Lookout - "Works Off Canvas"
- 02.13.2013 "A Sweet Tooth & Some Cavities: Amanda Valdez at the Denny Gallery" by Jeffrey Kirkwood in Idiom Mag
- 01.22.2013 "Amanda Valdez: Taste of Us" by Evan Neely in Dossier Journal