Born 1986 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Lives in Brooklyn, New York.
Jessie Edelman explores meaningful issues from throughout the history of painting that have an impact on contemporary art. Her recent work has taken the role of the observer or spectator as the painting’s subject. She turns the viewer’s orientation to the mise en scène, such as a rocky ocean outcrop or a meadow and explores the position of the figure within it. The work spans a high-low range of image viewing, from film stills to travel photos to Impressionist paintings.
Jessie Edelman received her MFA from Yale University and her BA from Skidmore College. She has had solo exhibitions at Denny Gallery in New York, Andrew Rafacz Gallery in Chicago and Robert Blumenthal Gallery in New York, and was in a two-person exhibition with David Humphrey at The Suburban in Milwaukee.Download CV
Press & News
- 10.20.2017 Review of "As Worlds Colliding" at Dirimart in Instanbul
- 01.10.2017 Interview in WORK IN PROGRESS
- 10.04.2016 "Scene Stealer: Jessie Edelman" in Brooklyn Magazine
- 09.08.2016 "Jessie Edelman on Painting in the Digital Age" in Artnet News
- 09.06.2016 "The Best Art Openings" in Brooklyn Magazine
- 08.30.2016 Fall Art Guide in Vogue