Born 1977 in Detroit, Michigan. Lives in Brooklyn, New York.
Michael Mandiberg is an interdisciplinary artist whose work crosses multiple forms and disciplines in order to trace the lines of political and symbolic power as it takes shape online. Building on the conceptual tradition, he orders and reorders information, remixing the forms in which it manifests or solidifies. While technically sophisticated, his work eschews the novelty of new technology in favor of an exploration of appropriation, the digital vernacular, the ways in which these new technologies impact our lives, and the politics and poetics of technological subjectivities.
Mandiberg received his MFA from California Institute of the Arts and his BA from Brown University. Mandiberg’s projects have been presented at The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA), The New Museum, Postmasters Gallery, Denny Gallery, Art-in-Buildings Financial District Project Space, Arizona State University Library/Museum, Eyebeam, Ars Electronica, Jeu De Paume, Plug.in, Transmediale, and ZKM. His work has been written about widely, including Artforum, Art in America, ARTnews, The New York Times, The New Yorker, and The Wall Street Journal.
Mandiberg is a Professor of Media Culture at the College of Staten Island/CUNY and is on the Doctoral Faculty at the CUNY Graduate Center.
Watch a video of Michael Mandiberg’s Quantified Self Portrait (Rhythms), instlaled in LACMA’s Pritzker Parking Garage elevators.Download CV
Press & News
- 01.19.2017 Michael Mandiberg in "20 Artists for the Trump Era" in Artsy
- 01.01.2017 Solo Exhibition at LACMA
- 12.15.2016 FDIC Insured in the Brooklyn Rail
- 10.19.2016 Michael Mandiberg in Creative Time Reports
- 10.08.2016 Michael Mandiberg: FDIC Insured in The Village Voice
- 09.29.2016 Michael Mandiberg: FDIC Insured reviewed in Hyperallergic
- 09.26.2016 Michael Mandiberg: FDIC Insured in Bloomberg Businessweek Magazine
- 09.26.2016 Michael Mandiberg in The New Yorker
- 09.15.2016 Michael Mandiberg: FDIC Insured in Blouin Artinfo
- 09.13.2016 Michael Mandiberg: FDIC Insured in Hyperallergic's ArtRx NYC
- 08.26.2016 Interview with Michael Mandiberg by Tina Ryan in Art in America
- 05.28.2016 Print Wikipedia in German in the SudDeutsche Zeitung
- 05.10.2016 "Don’t bank on it..." by Julia Halperin in the Art Newspaper
- 03.10.2016 Print Wikipedia at Arizona State University
- 10.01.2015 "Michael Mandiberg" review by Jennifer W. Leung in Artforum
- 06.17.2015 "Wikipedia Moves to Bookshelves" by Jennifer Schuessler in the New York Times
- 06.24.2015 "FROM AAAAA! TO ZZZAP!: MICHAEL MANDIBERG ON HIS PLAN TO PRINT WIKIPEDIA" by Hannah Ghorashi, ARTnews
- 06.19.2015 "Artist Converts Wikipedia to Print—Maybe It’s Not Dead After All" by Casey Quackenbush in the Observer
- 06.18.2015 "Ever wondered what a $500,000 version of Wikipedia would look like?" by Will Greenberg in the Washington Post