Born in 1979 in Los Angeles, California. Lives and works in Brooklyn, New York.
Sean Fader is a conceptual artist working in the media of photography, performance, social practice, and the Internet. His most recent project is 365 Profile Pics, an exploration of social media and online exchange. This year-long project culminates in an exhibition at the SPRING/BREAK Art Show 2017 with Denny Gallery. Fader’s other recent work, Backdrop for the Rebirth of the Collective Author was a response to Richard Prince, who reproduced a photograph from Instagram of Fader’s performance piece #wishingpelt for his exhibition at Gagosian.
Sean Fader received his MFA from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, his MA from the Maryland Institute College of Art in Baltimore, and his BFA from the New School in New York City. His work has been exhibited throughout the United States and internationally in Dubai, Canada, Mexico and England. Recent exhibitions and performances include PICTURE YOURSELF: Selfied, Cellphones, and the Digital Age at the College of Wooster Art Museum, Wooster, OH (2016), #Yes Gaga! at the Satellite Art Fair, Miami, FL, (2016), Share This! Appropriation After Cynicism, at Denny Gallery, New York, NY (2015), I’ll Show You Mine If You Show Me Yours: Love In The Modern Age, at Esteven Art Gallery and Museum, Saskatchewan, Canada (2015), and Sup?, a solo exhibition at the University of Illinois in Springfield (2014). Fader was named a NYFA Fellow in 2013 and A Blade of Grass Fellow for 2012-2013, and he received Magenta Foundation’s Flash Forward Award for Emerging Photographers in 2012. Fader has attended prestigious residencies at Bemis Center for the Contemporary Arts and Yaddo. He has received press coverage in MOMUS, Hyperallergic, Art F City, the Huffington Post, and Slate.com.Download CV
Press & News
- 03.07.2017 Interview with Kimberly Ruth on BTRtoday
- 03.03.2017 Interviewed by NY1 "During Annual NYC Art Fair Week"
- 03.02.2017 Interview about "365 Profile Pics" with ArtSlant
- 02.25.2017 "365 Profile Pics" at SPRING/BREAK in Artnet
- 01.08.2015 "Share This! Appropriation After Cynicism" Reviewed in Momus
- 12.31.2014 Annie Shepard on Sean Fader in Plastiglass Journal
- 10.23.2014 "A Young Artist Debuts at Gagosian, Thanks to Richard Prince" in Hyperallergic
- 07.15.2014 "Sean Fader Explores The Art Of Online Dating In 'Sup?'" in the Huffington Post
- 05.10.2014 Sean Fader’s #wishingpelt Highlighted in "PULSE is Back!" in Art F City