Born 1983 in Washington D.C. Lives in Brooklyn, NY.
Caris Reid’s work deploys symbolism and pattern to explore femininity throughout history and across cultures. The female figures directly meet the eye of the viewer and impress with the strength of their pose. These female archetypes are covered with iconography such as cats, flowers, eyes, peace signs, yin yangs, birds. Reid extensively researches symbols from ancient history through the contemporary emoticon.
Caris Reid received her B.F.A. from Boston University. Reid’s most recent exhibition was, Healer. Feeler. Seer. Seen at Ochi Projects in Los Angeles, CA (2017). Other exhibitions include a two-person show Time & Tide with Amanda Valdez at Denny Gallery (2016), Diamond Seat at Circuit 12 in Dallas (2015), The Ocean is Double Sided at SEASON in Seattle (2015), and Sargent’s Daughters in New York (2014). She has received prestigious artist residencies at 100 West Corsicana in Corsicana, TX, Chandelier Artist Retreat in Montauk, and Takt Kunstprojektraum in Berlin. Her work has received coverage in Forbes, New American Painting, Vogue Japan, The New Yorker, Art Observed, Paper Magazine, and the New York Times Style Magazine.Download CV
Press & News
- 09.11.2017 "5 Must-See Gallery Shows in NYC This September" in the Observer
- 08.28.2017 Interview about "Sub Rosa" with Chennie Huang
- 04.26.2017 "Healer. Feeler. Seer. Seen" in LA Weekly
- 04.13.2017 Interview in The Radder
- 08.03.2016 "Meet Collage Darling, Caris Reid" on Art Zealous
- 04.19.2016 "Collaborative Artist Duo Hangs Exhibition According To The Moon's Cycle" in Forbes
- 04.07.2016 "Meet the Artists Behind a Witchy New Show Inspired by the Lunar Cycle” in Paper Magazine
- 03.17.2016 "Collage Master Caris Reid Merges Healing with Art" in Brooklyn Magazine
- 02.12.2016 "AMANDA VALDEZ AND CARIS REID" by double or nothing