Future Retrieval is the collaboration of Katie Parker and Guy Michael Davis. Katie Parker was born 1980 in Jonesboro, AR and Guy Michael Davis was born 1978 in Bartlesville, OK. They both live in Cincinnati, OH.
Future Retrieval utilizes three-dimensional scanning and digital manufacturing of found forms that are molded and constructed in porcelain, mimicking the history of decorative arts and design. Their process addresses the conceptualization, discovery, and acquisition of form, to make content-loaded sculptures that reference design and are held together by craft. They incorporate an interdisciplinary approach to their work, striving to make influential historic objects relevant to today.
Katie Parker is an Assistant Professor of Art and Guy Michael Davis is an Annualized Assistant Professor of Art at the University of Cincinnati. They both received their MFA from The Ohio State University and BFA from Kansas City Art Institute, MO. They have an upcoming solo exhibition at the Fuller Craft Museum in Brockton, MA. Their work is held in numerous collections such as Arizona State University Ceramics Research Center (Tempe, AR), Cincinnati Art Museum (Cincinnati, OH), 21C Museum/Hotel (Durham, NC), Society of Dresden Porcelain Art (Frietal, Germany), and The Pottery Workshop (Jingdezhen, China). They are the recipients of prestigious awards and residencies such as the Smithsonian Artist Research Fellowship and Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts Residency.Download CV
Press & News
- 11.24.2017 Permanent Spectacle reviewed on Art F City Podcast "Explain Me"
- 10.27.2017 Permanent Spectacle Featured in Art Zealous
- 04.15.2017 Solo Exhibition at Fuller Craft Museum
- 01.04.2017 Interview with Art Zealous
- 03.01.2016 Sculpture Magazine: "Art as Identity: 21c Museum Hotels"
- 07.01.2013 ARTFORUM Critics' Picks: "The Living Room"
- 12.11.2012 Hyperallergic: "Artistic Bootlegging Begins in Cincinnati and Ends in China"
- 11.29.2011 The Boston Globe: "Exploring Sentimentality's Dark Edges"