Born 1980 in Lohr am Main, Germany. Lives in New York City.
Nadja Frank’s work operates on the edge between painting, sculpture and architectural environments. Geology and man’s footprint as visible over time are themes always present in varying degrees of prominence in her work. Frank has a talent for distorting our sense of scale by shifting fluidly between micro and macro worlds. As evidenced in her “Rock Portraits,” (2014) Frank shows reverence to simple materials and objects, therefore exalting them beyond their definitions.
Frank received her Diploma in Fine Arts with Honors from Hochschule fur bildende Künste in Hamburg, Germany in 2008, and her MFA from Columbia University in 2011. She has exhibited internationally in solo exhibitions at 401contemporary Berlin/London (Berlin), Margini Arte Contemporanea (Massa, Italy), Galerie Conradi (Hamburg), and in group exhibitions at Kunst und Ausstellungshalle der Bundesrepublik Deutschland (Bonn), Kunstverein Hamburg, Kolbe Museum (Berlin), Chelsea Art Museum (New York), and Socrates Sculpture Park (New York). Frank was recently awarded a coveted residency by the Lower Manhattan Cultural Center (2015-2016).Download CV
Press & News
- 08.01.2015 Art Magazin features Nadja Frank (in German)
- 03.12.2015 New York Times Blog reviews "Self Check Out"
- 11.03.2014 Whitewall lists Rock Shop III as a “November Show to Know”
- 10.28.2014 Bedford + Bowery: A Traveling Artist Wants You to Meet Her Pet Rocks
- 05.25.2013 The Wall Street Journal: A Rock Shop, Pet Snakes and Abstracts
- 06.13.2013 Art Observed: "Nadja Frank: 'Rock Shop' at Denny Gallery"