Born 1977 in Dallas, TX. Lives in Queens, NY and Schenectady, NY. Works in Amsterdam, NY.
Brent Birnbaum’s work begins with collecting obsolescent objects and repurposing these collections with whimsy and aesthetic rigor. Many of Birnbaum’s projects have featured domestic objects, and are thus informed by Birnbaum’s interests in design, consumer culture, and notions of private and public space. Birnbaum’s work engages with the legacy of Duchamp in his use of the readymade object, humor, and voyeurism, as well as Minimalism in his use of everyday materials, shifts in scale, and formal concerns.
Brent Birnbaum received his MFA from the School of Visual Arts and a BFA from the University of North Texas in Denton. Birnbaum currently has a solo exhibition titled “That’s what he said” at the Museum Wilhelm Morgner in Soest, Germany on view through May 17, 2018. He was the cofounder of Topless, a seasonal exhibition space in Rockaway Beach, NY, and has an extensive exhibition history, showing at the Abrons Art Center, NY; Casino Luxembourg, Luxembourg; Marta Herford, Germany; The New Bedford Art Museum, MA; Marianne Boesky Gallery, NY; and Regina Rex, NY. His work has been featured in The New York Times, Hyperallergic, New York Magazine’s Vulture, Artforum, among other publications. Elizabeth Denny and Craig Poor Monteith collaborated with Birnbaum during the Spring Break Art Fair in 2015 where Birnbaum constructed an installation of eleven running treadmills with painted belts.Download CV
Press & News
- 03.17.2018 Solo Exhibition at Museum Wilhelm Morgner in Germany
- 09.29.2016 Brent Birnbaum in "HABITAT: Obsessions" in ARTnews
- 08.24.2016 Review of Brent Birnbaum by Jongho Lee for Eyes Towards the Dove
- 08.23.2016 Paris Review highlights Brent Birnbaum
- 08.22.2016 Review of Brent Birnbaum by Claire Voon for Hyperallergic
- 07.13.2016 Artsy features Brent Birnbaum
- 07.11.2016 T The New York Times Style Magazine features Brent Birnbaum
- 07.04.2016 Artnet includes Brent Birnbaum in "Top 10 Shows on the LES..."
- 07.01.2015 Brent Birnbaum and Elizabeth Denny speak with Art-in-Buildings
- 03.15.2015 Video interview of Brent Birnbaum for VernissageTV
- 03.13.2015 Birnbaum's mountain of treadmills in the Huffington Post
- 09.04.2013 Irena Jurek talks to Brent Birnbaum in NY Arts Magazine