Born 1982, in Moscow, Russia. Lives in London.
Nikolai Ishchuk’s practice can be described as being primarily photography-based. It is, however, augmented through inclusion of sculpture, installation, collage and other elements. Ever-shifting, it traverses these border territories, mining their potential to create hybrid works and testing the medium’s limits. It also explores possibilities for a discourse that speaks photographically through non-image means and that both assimilates medium-specific concerns and extends well beyond.
Ishchuk received an MA from the Chelsea College of Art and Design in London. He was the first non-documentary photographer to win the British Journal of Photography award. Ishchuk has exhibited internationally, including at such institutions as Whitechapel Gallery (London) and the Moscow Museum of Modern Art.Download CV
Press & News
- 01.19.2016 Outside/Inside: The Work of Nikolai Ishchuk Resonance 104.4 FM
- 12.15.2015 Nikolai Ishchuk, Penumbra reviewed by Collector Daily
- 11.16.2015 9 Art Events to Attend in New York City This Week on ARTnews
- 01.19.2015 Interview with Sheyi Bankale curator of “Against Nature” at London Art Fair in photoworks
- 09.17.2014 Nikolai Ishchuk on view in Sarah Jessica Parker's Townhouse
- 02.20.2014 "Nikolai Ishchuk, Indeterminate Objects @Denny" by Loring Knoblauch in Collector Daily
- 12.19.2013 "Award Winning Artist Nikolai Ishchuk" by Jared Thompson in Design Juices
- 11.19.2013 "The Otherside of Closeness" by Lucy Soutter in photoworks
- 07.03.2012 "Meet the new SmartArtists" by Ben Luke in London Evening Standard