Born 1981 in Louisville, Kentucky. Lives in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Jordan Tate’s work represents a shift away from the understanding of photography as mechanical reproduction and an acknowledgement of the image-maker as the mediator of sight. Tate explores process and practice in contemporary image viewing and production. His work is based in ongoing research/meta-photographic critique concerning the visual and conceptual processes of image comprehension.
Jordan Tate is an Assistant Professor of Art at the University of Cincinnati. He has a Bachelor of Philosophy in Interdisciplinary Studies from Miami University and a Master of Fine Arts in Photography from Indiana University. He was a Fulbright Fellow in 2008-2009. Tate’s work is currently held in collections nationwide, including Rhizome at the New Museum, the Museum of Contemporary Photography, The Fred and Laura Bidwell Collection, the Cincinnati Art Museum, the Columbus Museum of Art, and the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston. Tate has exhibited at the the Transformer Station (Cleveland, OH), SPRING/BREAK Art Show (NYC), Denny Gallery (NYC), Galerie Christophe Gaillard (Paris, France), Higher Pictures (NYC), The Photographers Gallery (London, UK), and the Museum of Contemporary Art, Cleveland.Download CV
Press & News
- 07.16.2014 "Fragments of an Unknowable Whole at Urban Arts Space" on Temporary Art Review
- 06.02.2014 "Artist of the Week: Jordan Tate" on LVL3
- 04.12.2014 "Black as Midnight on a Moonless Night" by Natalie Hegert in ARTslant
- 04.08.2014 Video: "Jordan Tate talks about SUPERBLACK"
- 04.08.2014 "Fruit Cake Still Costs 98 Cents" by Jimmy Kuehnle in artHopper.org
- 03.21.2014 "Black Hole Sun: Cincinnati Artist Jordan Tate Plays with Perceptions of Light and Dark" by Matt Peiken in WCPO Cincinnati
- 03.25.2014 "SUPERBLACK: Stare Into the Abyss @TransformerStat" by Hollie Gibbs in Cool Cleveland
- 10.24.2013 "Jordan Tate: Gamut Warning" by Alexander Norton in Paper Journal
- 10.03.2013 "Jordan Tate, Gamut Warning @Denny" by Loring Knoblauch in Collector Daily
- 03.01.2012 "The Perfect Playground" by Diane Smyth in British Journal of Photography
- 12.01.2012 "RGB" by Kuba Ryniewicz in Kwartalnik Fotografia
- 12.01.2011 "Jordan Tate: New Work" by Lesley A. Martin in FOAM