Born 1981 in Summertown, Tennessee. Lives and works in Brooklyn, New York.
Russell Tyler’s recent work methodically explores distinct formal variations in his paintings, from gestural abstractions to spacey landscapes to dense floral compositions. He has been developing these styles alongside of the geometric abstractions he was originally known for. Tyler’s sensuous, expressive painting style belies the fact that his work is highly structured and unfolds with deliberate shifts in color and form. While Tyler’s work shows the influence of iconic abstract artists of the twentieth century such as Josef Albers and Philip Guston, his work is also unmistakably of its time, formed in an age when daily visual experience takes place in digital space and painting has to assert its immediacy.
Russell Tyler received his M.F.A. from Pratt Institute in Brooklyn and his B.F.A. from Concordia University in Montreal. He has had solo exhibitions at Denny Gallery in New York City, Galerie Bernard Ceysson in France, Richard Heller Gallery in Los Angeles, Ribordy Contemporary in Switzerland, DCKT Contemporary in New York City, Freight + Volume in New York City, Alon Segev Gallery in Tel Aviv, Gordon Gallery 2 in Tel Aviv, and EbersMoore Gallery in Chicago. He has been included in group exhibitions at the Savannah College of Art and Design, the Torrance Art Museum, New Britain Museum of American Art, Anonymous Gallery, Retrospective Gallery, The Fireplace Project, Ana Cristea Gallery, Thierry Goldberg Gallery, ACME (Los Angeles), among others. His work has been reviewed or featured in Artforum, Hyperallergic, Modern Painters, T The New York Times Style Magazine, NY Arts Magazine, The Brooklyn Rail and Le Monde.Download CV
Press & News
- 02.09.2017 "Finding Vitality and Stillness with Russell Tyler" by Nicole Bray for Art Real
- 03.01.2016 "...Most Memorable Breakouts" at SPRING/BREAK in Artspace
- 12.04.2015 "Susan and Michael Hort's Picks From Miami Art Week 2015" in Artspace
- 09.17.2015 Review by Dana Kopel in Modern Painters
- 08.19.2015 Review of Metamodern by Kristi Arnold in on-verge.org
- 06.03.2015 Russell Tyler’s Radiant Fields Reviewed by Jason Stopa in the Brooklyn Rail
- 01.11.2014 At Play in the Fields of Paint: Russell Tyler’s “Analogue Future” in Hyperallergic by Thomas Micchelli
- 11.18.2013 "Windows" in Artforum by Tina Rivers Ryan